So here's the story, back around 2004 or 2005 I was at the end of my lucrative manual labor career and was getting ready to make a change. I had purchased this 71 ford Thunderbird Hardtop a few years previous and, after a few years of being unable to work on it, it had degraded till the point it wasn't fit to be used in my new career. so it was parked. Now, after a few years, I am able to pull it back outta the tree line and attempt to resurrect it. This blog will follow along with the progress from rust bucket hoopty to a (once again) nice ride.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thunderbird Parts / Service List




Turn Signal Switch
The turn signal switches in these early '70s Thunderbirds are prone to plastic fatigue. There are more readily available and cheaper alternatives on the market but I highly recommend that faced with the same need you choose to find a NOS complete turn signal as I have. This was found on Ebay from a good parts seller there and was purchased for less than thirty dollars. READ THE INSTALATION HERE



The windows in these Thunderbirds were glued into the tracks from the factory. Then the tracks were bolted into the window mechanism itself. After thirty some years (or twenty) the tracks come loose from the glass and things get sloppy. Back when I was driving this beast full time I had used a product from Duramix to glue things back together. It usually stayed put for about six months before coming loose again. This time around I decided I was going to have it professionally fixed. READ THE POST HERE



Shortly before the bird was parked I had from the muffler back fall off of the car while at Interstate speeds. One of the jobs to be done after bringing it out of retirement was to have the exhaust system looked after. READ THE POST HERE



Sure it ran, but it just didn't run all that great. The plug wires were old and the points were used up so it was time to not only replace some key parts but also do a little bit of upgrading at the same time. READ THE POST HERE

No comments: