So here's the story, back around 2004 or 2005 I was at the end of my lucrative manual labor career and was getting ready to make a change. I had purchased this 71 ford Thunderbird Hardtop a few years previous and, after a few years of being unable to work on it, it had degraded till the point it wasn't fit to be used in my new career. so it was parked. Now, after a few years, I am able to pull it back outta the tree line and attempt to resurrect it. This blog will follow along with the progress from rust bucket hoopty to a (once again) nice ride.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Brakes and bearings

The car is now back on the ground.. I repacked and replaced the brake assembly on the right front and preloaded everything to spec. and went around and did the drivers side.. The nut on the drivers side was still mostly tight. Way different torque than the passenger side. The bearings on the drivers looked alright as well. So I repacked them and preloaded everything to spec. I am going to see if I can find a length of clear hose to stick onto the end of the bleed screw and into a bottle of some brake fluid as the pedal is spongy.. and it is to much work to jam the stick in between the seat and the pedal and open/close.. and repeat.. not to mention hard on the front of the seat with the stick jammed in there..

Soon as I get the fronts fully blead and such I plan to put the back wheels up the in air and take a look inside the rear drums and readjust the parking brake.

After that is done I will be investigating a back firing through the carb problem... not really back FIREing.. as much as back misting.. with the brake engaged in drive and a foot on the gas it will really bog itself out and back fire through the carb.. thinking maybe a ignition point conversion kit (do away with them) and plugs and wires..

No comments: