So here's the story, back around 2004 or 2005 I was at the end of my lucrative manual labor career and was getting ready to make a change. I had purchased this 71 ford Thunderbird Hardtop a few years previous and, after a few years of being unable to work on it, it had degraded till the point it wasn't fit to be used in my new career. so it was parked. Now, after a few years, I am able to pull it back outta the tree line and attempt to resurrect it. This blog will follow along with the progress from rust bucket hoopty to a (once again) nice ride.

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hood latch,

Ever since I purchased the car way a long time ago the way you open the hood was with a stiff piece of wire that was looped around the latch mechanism and looped around a bar in the grill. Looked o.k.. and worked just fine but it just wasn't right.


I had been watching an ebay auction for some time that had the latch assembly and the latch pull rod all complete.

This weekend I was scrounging around in one of my boxes of Bird stuff for a screw and happened upon a strange looking bent metal rod. I thought it looked familiar so I looked at the auction once more to check and I'll be darned if it didn't look like the same thing.. the auction also showed a small bracket that the rod goes through.. grabbing the light around to the front of the car I peered up into the grill on the same side of the piece of wire.. nothing there.. checking on the other side I saw a bracket there.. a quick check in my manual to see which side it should be and it turns out that I already have all the parts necessary (save for a snap lock to hold the rod in the hole on the latch)..

I've removed the auction from my watch list.. leaving just the auction for the radiator shroud that ends in 20 hours.. wish me luck..

No comments: