So here's the story, back around 2004 or 2005 I was at the end of my lucrative manual labor career and was getting ready to make a change. I had purchased this 71 ford Thunderbird Hardtop a few years previous and, after a few years of being unable to work on it, it had degraded till the point it wasn't fit to be used in my new career. so it was parked. Now, after a few years, I am able to pull it back outta the tree line and attempt to resurrect it. This blog will follow along with the progress from rust bucket hoopty to a (once again) nice ride.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Chief Running Carb

This poor thing sat for two years with gasoline both in the tank as well as the carburetor. I could tell on the drive from west to east that I took it on. Even if you tried to get it just over idle it would nearly die.

Last night after work I took the top of the Edlebrock carb apart and was appalled at the amount of orange brown slime in the bottom of the side tanks. The valve in the accelerator pump circuit was completely stuck. I pulled everything apart and hosed it all down with carb cleaner. While I was putting it back together I manually tried the accelerator pump and was rewarded by seeing two nice fat streams of fuel pouring forth from the both jets. I went ahead and continued to get it all put back together.. and since it was midnight or so, called it quits for the night.

This afternoon, after the football game (GOOO HUSKERS!!!) I pulled it out of the garage.. and since it is missing some serious exhaust made a whole pile of racket. Thing were a little dicey getting it to move from a stop at first (must have been a lot of stuff on the spark plugs to burn off) but by the time I brought it back to the house I once again had pretty instant throttle response. Rumpaa Rumpaa... hehe.. Some time during this next week I plan to get it up to Midas for a quote and perhaps get some new pipes and new mufflers put on it. Then I can actually start driving it a little without waking up the entire neighborhood.

Next update will include a bit of video I shot after returning from my short drive. Stay tuned.

No comments: